Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Dog the Bounty Hunter

To all of you that know me and know that I actually watch Dog and enjoy watching Dog you are going to love my adventures today in First Grade.

Today in my afternoon class I was working with the whole class on a graphing assignment where we looking for who had the longest name and the shortest name in the class. I did it like a guessing game. I randomly pulled kids name out of a jar and the kids would write the letters to the mystery students name in the boxes on there paper. Don't worry, this is just background knowledge all you really need to know is, I was spelling students names and allowing the kids to guess who's name I was spelling. After I gave one letter they all started guessing.

I came to on child who's name started with a "D". I said, "First letter is a "d", I heard some logical guesses, then I heard one that caught me off guard. One little boy who sits right next to where I was working said, "D" Dog. I didn't really think to much of it because he is known to say random things before. Then I gave the next letter, "E" I over heard him again, "Its got to be dog." Now your thinking this is kinda funny because dog is spelled with an "o" not a "e". Well, when I gave the next letter it was all I could do to keep myself from laughing out loud. I said to the class, "the next letter is "r". I then heard the little boy say, "r?" "Darn it can't be dog." Then he says to himself, "that's okay because Dog the Bounty Hunter isn't in our class any way."

I just wanted to laugh out loud after that. I'm so glad I had on my good listening ears so I could catch his little conversation with himself. I'm also glad Dog the Bounty Hunter is not a student in my class.

On a side note, I had my first student burst into tears today, and I thought I had a pink eye outbreak. I had a student come to school after being diagnosed with pink eye yesterday. Then today I had another girl with all the same symptoms. I sent her off to the nurse, and disinfected my desks right away. Come to find out later, when I was reading my students information sheets, I read on the little girls sheet who I thought had pink eye, that she has sever allergies and gets read puffy watery eyes that sometimes can be mistaken for pink eye. OOPS!

4 comments:

Amanda said...

I wondered what the text you sent me, referring to "Dog" not being in your class, meant.

I was thinking maybe you saw a new first grader at school who totally looked like Dog, but you didn't get him in your class.

I was totally picturing a little kid with a mullet, dream catcher accessories, leather...

Monica said...

First graders are a hoot! I love listening to thier conversations. Oh and by the way that girl that has sever allergies and gets "read" puffy eyes, I would have done the same thing. Just cuz she has those reactions to allergies doesn't mean it is today. Any way I am glad you are liking school, and I am glad none of your nightmares came true. I knew you were going to be a great teacher, and all your students would and will continue to love you. well ttyl luv ya

Anonymous said...

what is up with that extra small font remember some of us are blind sis.love ya

The Barton Bunch said...

LOL. I totally love it! "Kids say the darndest things!". Sorry we didn't stop by the other night. We figured you guys needed to be getting to bed and we needed to be heading home. Love you guys!