Thursday, May 1, 2008

1st Grade

I got the call I have been waiting for yesterday morning. The Principal of Northdridge Elementary called to offer me the 1st grade position I had interviewed for. I of course accepted! I just hope I can be a great teacher! I have some great teachers to live up to. One of those teacher would have to be Mrs. MacKay my first grade teacher:
I remember three distinct things about Mrs. Mackay, one, she read us the book The Wizard of Oz after recess every day. I didn't know it was a book I just thought it was a movie. The book she read from seemed like it was a giant book and it had neat pictures every so often. I have since bought a copy of The Wizard of Oz. I just can't find a large copy of it.

Another thing I remember was, one day during school we had a big rain and thunder storm. Our classroom had one wall that was entirely windows. Mrs. Mackay gathered us all over by the windows and while we watched for lighting and listened to the thunder and rain she read us the book Thunder Cake by Patricia Polacco That was a neat day. (I need to buy that book.)







My final memory of her is kinda funny. I remember that she always seemed to make me sit next to Sean. Sean was the class clown and was always getting in trouble. Well when ever Sean would misbehave Mrs Mackay would take the pointer stick with the large wooden apple on one end (ironically I gave her this pointer stick for Christmas)and hit the desk to scare him and to get him back on task. I was always afraid she was going to hit me or miss and get my fingers. I think this discipline tactic did a better job scaring me then it did getting Sean in line.

The other interesting thing about Mrs Mackay is we shared the same first name. I thought that was sooo cool.

My other great teacher is Miss Honey from Matilda. I mean you can't beat Miss Honey.


I am sure I could name over 100 more great 1st grade teachers and just teachers in general. I have a lot to live up to, that's for sure.

9 comments:

The Proctors said...

Yeah for Rosie! Officially a teacher now

Katie said...

That is very exciting. Congratulations! I remember Mrs. Mackay smacking the desk with that stick. Oh Man... :) You are going to be an excellent teacher, for sure.

Allison said...

You are going to be a great teacher Rosie. You are so funny and kind and energetic--those kids are going to love you!!

The Barton Bunch said...

Congradulations! I am so excited for you guys! Although, I still am convinced that someday you two will come to your senses and move closer to us so we can be shopping buddies! LOL. I am just kidding. You will be a great teacher and we are all so proud of you!

Amber said...

Rosie,
Congratulations! I am so excited for you! You are going to love teaching first grade :) You can't get better than 6 and 7 year olds! Let me know if you ever need help! Are you going to go to core academy this year? That is a great way to jump right in and get great ideas. If you need an in give me a call...I am teaching some of the sessions and can see what I can do to get you in!

jcwilles said...

Congrats, Rosie! Now you can relax and enjoy the summer. Yeah, right. My sister spent the summer shopping for items for her class and going to workshops. Have a great time, you'll be an awesome teacher!

Amanda said...

Congrats Mrs. Curtis! You're going to be awesome!

Anonymous said...

Hey Rosie
Congratulations on your graduation, we are happy for you even though we didn't make it up there! The Curtis' (Kim)

Anonymous said...

Hi Rosie! This is Kim, your long lost Timp. Park - 3rd ward buddy! I love your blog by the way. I happened to come across it by chance and I just had to leave a little comment to say Hello! It's been a long time since I last saw you. You and your hubby look so cute together! Congratulations on your new teaching job! You'll be an amazing teacher. I also remember Mrs. MacKay, what a wonderful teacher she was. You look so adoreable standing there next to her! I wish you the best of luck with everything.