Sunday, November 11, 2007

Visiting Teaching Message

I just had my visiting teachers stop by. They left with me quite the message this month. They showed up right after church and we chatted for a little bit. We talked about what we would be doing for Thanksgiving and what was new in our lives. Then one of the sisters shared a message from the confrence report and did a very good job. After the message they asked me the all to famous question, "is there anything we can do for you?" I told them not that I could think of, everything was going well right now. Then what one of the sister said took me a litle bit by surprise. She looked at me and asked how things were going for Mark and I. I thought this was a little weird because they asked me this when they first came. I told them once again, that things were going well. She then states, "no I mean with marriage?" I told her, "Oh, they are going really well, I mean we have had our challenges as we try to adjust, especially as the holiday season approaches but we are loving married life." She then smiles and says to me, "well thats good, my first year of marriage was okay, but my second year was jsut HELL!" I was a little taken back. I wasn't expecting her to tell me that her marriage was hell. I think she even surprised her companion. I'm just hoping things are going well for them now. They seem to be happy at least at church that is. And with that happy note they left.

1 comment:

Amanda said...

What are you talking about? Are you saying your marriage isn't pure hell? If it's not, you're lying or it will be soon... just wait. It torture, I'm telling you! Probably the worst thing ever! I mean, sometimes I look at Cameron and think... "Good grief, you still hangin' around?"

JUST KIDDING!! I LOVE my honeypie and wouldn't trade him for anything or anyone! Why would I?Afterall, there's no one who could even compare!

I do have to agree with your psycho visiting teacher, though. Our second year of marriage was hard compared to the first. I think you spend your first year blissfully blinded by love. Everything annoying thing the other does is overlooked because, well, the sex is so good. Then, after a year, you get tired of overlooking his dirty clothes IN FRONT of the hamper and you start trying to "straighten" the other out. Or you're just generally annoyed by everything because by then you're probably pregnant.

Then you realize life's better when you're nice to each other and you really, really do love the other in spite of their annoying relatives or stinky socks
and you can chalk up your second year as the year you learned the art of "conflict resolution."